6 Great Ideas for Organising Your Craft Space

6 Great Ideas for Organising Your Craft Space - The Oz Material Girls

It's the start of a fantastic new year and I've decided to expand my horizons...from the comfort of my favourite (only?) couch. For those that haven't had the pleasure of e-meeting me, I'm Rachael from Sew Today, Clean Tomorrow and I've been invited over here to do a spot of blogging for The Oz Material Girls.

If you're anything like me then you always start the new year with a bright, shiny list of goals. Some are a little fanciful: "Play guitar with Dave Grohl", others are more realistic: "Learn to play guitar", but there is one that finds its way onto my list every year..."Organise my craft space".

I love the idea of the gorgeous craft spaces I've seen during my late night, wine-fuelled stalkings of Pinterest, but find many to be a little beyond the limits of my talent/time/bank account. Here is a list of my more practical and mostly budget-friendly solutions for organising my knick-knacks, gadgets and sewing doohickeys.

Tip 1 - Use a rubber band to store your bobbin and thread. Not only does it keep the threads in place, it's also a great way of making sure bobbin and spool remain together, forever, happily every after.
Use a rubber band to keep bobbin and spool together
Use a rubber band to keep bobbin and spool together
Tip 2 - Store sewing machine accessories in compartment boxes (e.g. beading boxes). This is a great way to neatly store your sewing machine feet, machine needles and other accessories.  Label the box lid to make it even easier to find what you're looking for.

Use a beading box to store sewing machine feet
Use a compartment box to store sewing machine feet
Label the lid
Label the lid
It's a great way to store needles too
It's a great way to store needles too
Tip 3 - Organise patterns in plastic pockets or large envelopes. This is a great way to keep all the bits and pieces of your project in one place. E.g. pattern pieces, instructions, zips, buttons, fabric, elastic etc.

Use envelopes or plastic pockets for patterns and projects
Use envelopes or plastic pockets for patterns and projects
Tip 4 - Keep often used gadgets within easy reach with these practical, eye-catching embroidery hoops. This great project is quick, easy and affordable to make. You can find a tutorial here: Sew Today, Clean Tomorrow Embroidery Hoop Organiser Tutorial.


Tip 5 - Small knick-knacks can live in fabric bowls made from your favourite scraps. My hexie bowls are a lovely addition to the craft room and do a great job of housing my Clover Wonderclips, pattern weights, rubber bands and many more bits and pieces. The Hexie Bowl pattern is available through Patterns Only here: Hexie Bowl PDF Pattern.

Small knick-knacks love to call a fabric bowl home
Small knick-knacks love to call a fabric bowl home
Tip 6 - Nails/Hooks/Pegs can keep scissors and cutters within your easy reach (and out of reach of others). It's not the most beautiful solution out there but this shelf, with it's scissor storage underneath, was a breath of fresh air for my craft room. It frees up bench space, keeps everything close by and stops my all-too-regular "where did I just put those dang scissors?" dance.

Hooks/nails/pegs keep scissors within reach.
Hooks/nails/pegs keep scissors within reach.
A shelf for easy storage
It may be small, but this shelf is a mighty addition to my craft room.
There you have it. A small peek into my craft room and a few of my more nifty storage solutions. What handy little hints and tips do you have for organising your craft space?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment